Saturday, March 10, 2012

A beautiful "Juneuary" day in VB

It has definitely been a mild winter in Hampton Roads. So mild, in fact, locals started jokingly referring to January as "Juneuary." The temps in January were on average around 50-60 degrees, sometimes reaching the 70s. For an area that saw 5-10 inches of snow in January 2011 and average temps of 30 degrees for the month, this year was definitely mild! 

Many people decided they were going to take advantage of the weather this year and I was no different. At the end of January, armed with nothing more than a sweater and my camera, I headed out to explore. My first stop was the Cavalier Hotel in Virginia Beach.  

 After leaving the Cavalier I headed south on Atlantic and stumbled upon and a museum of sorts that I've never taken the time to actually look at. Snapping these pictures I couldn't help but think of the military men and women who live in this area who give everything they have for the rest of us to enjoy days like this.
As I worked my way down the oceanfront I knew there would be people enjoying this beautiful day at Rudee's Inlet. When I got down there I was shocked at just how many people were enjoying the weather.
There were families at Grommet Island, surfers and jet skiiers in the water, children playing in the sand, dogs playing fetch and couples relaxing on park benches while watching the waves roll by.
Surfers and jet skiers waiting for the big wave!

Grommet Island playground

After leaving Rudee's Inlet I decided I was done for the day. That was until I drove past Mt. Trashmore and saw all the families flying kites, children playing on the playground and bigger kids rolling down the hills. I just had to stop! 
Stairwell going up Mt. Trashmore
Kid's Cove @ Mt. Trashmore
Flying a kite overlooking I-264
Hitching a ride up the hill!
I used to LOVE doing this as a kid!


 And as I was about to leave, I captured my favorite picture of the day! (don't worry, her family was nearby)

No comments: